FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is an ideal candidate for the program?
- You have completed Year 12 (or equivalent, such as a Certificate IV).
- You are passionate about sport, and are keen to get your first job in the industry.
- You already work in sport and would like to have a reputable and recognised qualification in sport.
Where will the program take me?
- Completion of the Diploma of Sport Coaching & Development allows direct entry into second year study at La Trobe University in a range of health science courses including the Bachelor of Sport Coaching & Development, a Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science or another allied health degree.
- Completion of the Diploma of Elite Sport Business allows direct entry into second year study at La Trobe University in a range of business school courses including Sport Management, Sport Marketing and Media.
- Diploma of Sport Coaching & Development graduates seeking immediate employment typically find themselves in entry level roles in the sports industry. Example jobs include Game Development Officers, School and Junior level coaches and health and fitness instruction.
- Diploma of Elite Sport Business graduates seeking immediate employment typically find themselves in entry level roles in sports administration. Example jobs include Supporter Engagement Officers, Media Coordinators and Membership Sales Officers.
How do I apply?
- Applications are submitted directly via the La Trobe University website.
When does the course take place?
- The Diploma of Sports Coaching and Development and the Diploma of Elite Sport Business align to La Trobe’s normal semester timetables.
- Prior to course commencement you will be inducted and orientated to an elite sporting environment where you will be studying for the most part of the year.
What will my weekly schedule look like?
- You will be at the Carlton College of Sport for at least 2 days per week, and have access to a professional gym to undertake your individualised strength and conditioning program. One subject per semester will be delivered at the Bundoora campus of La Trobe University.
What other activities will I be participating in as part of my Carlton College of Sport experience?
- 100 hours of work based placement within the Carlton Football Club and industry partners.
- You will have exposure to Carlton Football Club’s fan engagement strategy development, membership drives, community engagement strategies, marketing and media communications, retail outlet, events, clinics
- Experience the guest lecture series with high-profile presenters such as Tayla Harris, Andy Lee, Chris Judd and Sam Walsh.
- Networking opportunities with staff at the Carlton Football Club.
How do I get to the Carlton College of Sport?
- The Carlton College of Sport is located at IKON Park, home of the Carlton Football Club, in Carlton North.
- Tram 19, stop 16 Walker Street takes you right outside the College.
- Parking is also available.
What am I required to wear when studying at the Carlton College of Sport?
- You will receive a Carlton College of Sport uniform when you commence your Carlton College of Sport Program. This needs to be worn when attending classes at Ikon Park and at La Trobe’s campus in Bundoora and when engaged in College activities either on-site at Ikon Park or at events off-site.
- You will be required to attend external events and clinics where you will be required to wear your college uniform.